Master of Arts in Studio Art
The Master of Arts in Studio Art is a unique and flexible graduate-level program that enables you to tailor your degree to meet your own artistic goals. Concentrations are available in ceramics, computer arts, drawing, painting, photography and sculpture.
Upon completion of the program, you will have developed:
- Technical mastery in your studio major and the ability to explore the creative possibilities of your chosen medium.
- Technical competence in your supporting area and an understanding of its creative possibilities.
- The ability to compose a clearly articulated artistic philosophy that includes an understanding of the relationship between the form and content of art.
- The ability to evaluate critically the formal and expressive elements of works of art and to situate works of art in their historical and theoretical context.
- The ability to work independently and make effective artistic judgments, culminating in the creation of a final project to be reviewed by faculty.
- Professional competence in area of specialization.
- 15 credit hours in one concentration area
- 9 credit hours in a secondary concentration area
- 6 credit hours in art history and aesthetics
- 3 credit hours for the thesis
Perks of the Master of Arts in Studio Art Program
- You will work one-on-one with qualified faculty.
- Most courses can be taken independently with only periodic visits to campus.
- You will participate in two group critiques per semester.
- You will show your work in a USF graduate student art show upon completion of coursework.
- Individual studio space is available.
To apply for the Master of Arts in Studio Art program, you must have:
- An undergraduate degree in art
- An undergraduate GPA in art of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
If you do not meet these criteria, you may still be accepted by special permission of the faculty. You will maintain a status of provisional student until full admission criteria are met.
How to Apply
To apply to the Master of Arts in Studio Art program, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete the application (with $20 fee if using paper application).
- Submit official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended.
- Must be sent directly from the registrar of institution(s) attended.
- Submit a DD214 form (United States veterans only).
- Submit a formal expressing your goals in pursuing the degree to email@example.com.
- Submit an official resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a portfolio of artwork in the form of 20 digital files to email@example.com or through Submittable (see below link)
- An image list to accompany the portfolio with corresponding information for each piece: Title, Media, Year Completed, and size.
- Submit three letters of recommendation using our program recommendation form.